BY: Dr. Laura Louis
Blog / Marriage / Travel & Activities
Comments: No Comments
How to manage a long distance relationship – Many people think that it is impossible to maintain a healthy relationship when you are hundreds of mile away. How could you possibly have a relationship with someone if they aren’t physical present? Although long distance relationship may seem like a risky thing to engage in, with a work and dedication, the time apart from one another won’t ruin your relationship.
Top 5 Ways to Keep Your Long Distance Relationship Functioning:
- Staying in contact – communication is important in any relationship. Staying in contact constantly and regularly will help keep the relationship stable and growing. Whether talking on the phone or sending a quick text, it is always good to keep in touch with your partner as often as you can.
- Being transparent – it is important that you are open and honest with your partner about the way you are feeling. Your partner needs to feel like they are trusted and that you can be trusted. Avoid anything that will jeopardize your relationship. One of the most pressing issues that couples face when in a long distance relationship is lack of trust. Constantly building trust will be beneficial in the long run.
- Use Skype, Face time, Oovoo, or Tango – social media and video chat are life savers when it comes to long distance relationships. Even though you are away from your partner, with a click of a button you can see their face, their smile, and their eyes. These tools allow you to see them while you communicate. This will make your time away from one another easier.
- Skype, Face time, oovoo, or Tango – social media and video chat are life savers when it comes to long distance relationships. Even though you are away from your partner, with a click of a button you can see their face, their smile, and their eyes. These tools allow you to see them while you communicate. This will make your time away from one another easier.
- Planning in advance – when you find yourself missing your partner and it becomes overwhelming, start planning for the next time you see them. Think about what you guys will do, where you will go, and what you will say. Imagine that kiss that you guys will share. This will keep you interested and excited about the relationship.
- Stay positive – Understand that this relationship will have its ups and downs, like any other relationship. Make sure your expectations are reasonable and obtainable. Think about long term and about the positives. Encourage your partner and keep them in mind as you live your lives separately.
ALSO READ: How to Build Sexual Confidence
Writing by: Kenyatta Wheeler – Intern @ Dr. Louis Gifted Counseling / Therapy in Metro Atlanta, Georgia. Contact Us to setup and appointment!!!